Monday, February 06, 2006

I say, old chap, stop mocking my bloody spelling!

All right, all right, all right! It's not just "towards." ALL of my written English tends towards British spellings. I typed "smoulder" in an email earlier, and, on reading it back, I thought...um, is that U supposed to be there? But "smolder" didn't look right, so I left it. Checked the dictionary later and got what is turning in to an eye-rolling cliche response: Chiefly British....

So, on a whim, I found these other things I do on a daily basis. They're all British:

Judgement and arguement. There's no E in American: judgment and argument. My spell checker always changes these on me automatically, but it doesn't stop me from typing them with the E originally. Though it could just be me. Same with travelling. I always put in two L's and spell checker removes the extra.

Dreamt, leapt - and similar words ending it T - American would be dreamed, leaped.

Even my sentence structure, I'm discovering reading up on various links, tends to the British... One example -- I would almost alway say: "I've just seen a movie." It appears that most Americans would simply say "I just saw a movie."

And it goes on and on.

So, does this mean my books will be naturally better sellers in Britain (don't I wish!), or will I simply drive my future American editors insane??

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just means you spend too much time talking to me! I'll be really impressed when you start spelling words like 'organise' with an 's' instead of a 'z'...

Oh, and argument doesn't have an 'e' in it in British, either. That must just be you...lol.

DKoren said...

LOL! My writing's not THAT British. Schooling over here did knock some American English into my head. And I'll never be able to think in those weird sentences you do... you know, the "he was stood on a hill" type ones. :-D