Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Rule #1


WRITE THINGS DOWN WHEN THEY OCCUR TO YOU.

I know this. KNOW THIS! And I broke Rule #1 tonight. I was watching the silent movie "Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse" and I had a tangential thought on my novel. And I failed to pause the movie and write it down. And the thought is *poof* gone vanished disappeared blowing raspberries my direction. Son of a squishy! I'd blame the handsome Mr. Valentino for this lapse, except he was nowhere around when I had the thought. It's no one's fault but my own. Pen. Paper. Computer. WRITE THEM DOWN!!!!

The picture is to mollify my self-irritation. :-D

3 comments:

Rocky said...

I totally just bookmarked your page. I write a lot of short stories, but I've had a novel in my head since I was seventeen just waiting to get out. I know the characters so well, and, like you, feel a vague sense of direction. I'm just sort of weirded out by letting it all loose and unsure about how to bring it all into the world. But seeing your process, it makes me feel a bit better about mine, b/c I kind of work the same way, what w/trying to take all these disparate elements and make something cohesive. Keep up the good work, and good luck!

DKoren said...

Hi there! Thanks for the encouragement. That's what this blog is for, but I never know if blathering on about my own creative process is worth anything to anybody. It's just how my brain works, and it's sometimes hard to put down things without sounding mildly insane at the best. Obviously there's no right way or wrong way to write a book. It's whatever works for each writer.

Good luck on your novel! I look forward to reading about your progress!

Rachel Kovaciny said...

"I burn, I pine, I perish". It's a scruffy baby-faced Rudy! If you hafta have a consolation prize, that is the way to go!

(And I still say if you're gonna keep a man, go with William Holden, but if he's unavailable, Rudolph Valentino would be a satisfactory pet as well...)