Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Yeeeee-haw!

You know how some stories you have to work at, and some just work? Effortless, easy, no thinking involved: they just work.

And when you're writing one of those, it's a float-on-top-of-the-skies feeling. Sheer writing joy! It's like you can do no wrong. Just get out of the way of your subconscious and let it do its job. All the dramatic pieces just fall into place of their own accord, and you don't have to wonder if it's going to be any good or not because when it's right, it's a totally different feeling from stories you have to, well, work at.

ILS is like that. I haven't had this much fun letting a story write itself since DTD. That one also wrote itself and it worked.

Maybe it's no coincidence that I'm doing the final edits on DTD in the mornings at the same time I'm writing ILS in the evenings.

1 comment:

Rachel Kovaciny said...

U is the closest I've come in a long time to a story that just writes itself. Once I got going, I've only really gotten bogged down around the action sequences (surprise, surprise). On the other hand, P'sB was completely work, work, work.

I think part of it has to do with whether a story just comes to me, or if I kind of make it up consciously. U came to me years ago, and I've just had to fine tune some stuff regarding the OC and other casting issues, then it took off. P'sB I made up because I needed a story for the zine.

It's not always like that, though. I made up "C'est la Vie" and that story just poured itself onto the page. I remember it as sheer writing joy, like you said.