Monday, September 23, 2013
A Tolkien Blog Party of Special Magnificence
Hamlette from The Edge of the Precipice is hosting a Lord of the Rings blog party and, because I love the Lord of the Rings, I thought it'd be fun to join in! There are some AMAZING giveaways being offered, so if you are a fan of the books, movies, or both, check it out and join in the fun! To start things off, there are ten questions to start with:
1. Have you read The Lord of the Rings or The Hobbit? If so, how many times?
Twice all the way through the trilogy. I've read Fellowship by itself, and parts of all three at various times.
2. Have you seen any movies based on them?
But, of course. Fellowship was seen fifteen or more times in the theater when it came out. The other two, only twice each on the big screen. A couple times each on DVD since then. It is very difficult for me to watch Fellowship on the small screen. The other films I'm not that attached to, nor do I have their images memorized big screen, so I'm okay with watching those on DVD.
3. Who first introduced you to Middle Earth?
A friend, back in college.
4. Who are your three favorite characters? (Feel free to elaborate on whys.)
1) Boromir, 2) Aragorn, 3) Sam. Those were my favorites the first time I read the books, and they stayed my favorites through the movies, in that order. Eowyn would be my fourth favorite, but only in the books. She is awesome in the books. However, I am not a fan of Eowyn in the movies. I dislike her so much, that she nearly ruins Two Towers and Return of the King movies for me.
5. What's your favorite Middle Earth location?
Favorite... er... what kind of favorite? Favorite to visit for a restful vacation? (Rivendell) Favorite place I pictured from reading the books? (Rohan) Favorite place for sheer beauty that I want to go to every time I see the movie? That I wait expectantly through the movie for the whole five seconds of viewing? (That would be the gorgeous above-treeline mountains and stream area Aragorn splashes through, after they leave Moria, right before they get a view of Lothlorien. In all of the movies, at least, it is my absolute favorite place. This place:
My second favorite place I want to go to would be to where Aragorn and Brego get that sweeping, panoramic view when he arrives at Helms Deep in The Two Towers.)
6. If you could belong to one of the races of Free Folk (Men, Elves, Dwarves, Hobbits, Ents), which would you choose?
Men, specifically I want to be a Ranger.
7. Would you rather eat lembas or taters?
Lembas. Taters I can get any time. But lembas bread? Yes, please.
8. If you lived in Middle Earth, what weapon would you prefer wielding?
Give me my sword and a knife, please, and preferably a bow and arrows as well. One weapon is simply insufficient in Middle Earth.
9. What draws you to Tolkien's stories? (The characters, the quests, the themes, the worlds, etc.)
I like just about everything about the Lord of the Rings trilogy. The characters, the plot, themes, the locations, the adventure and suspense. I love both books and movies, and the differences between them. And, of course, I want to be multiple characters in the Lord of the Rings, and that guarantees a book/movie will be a favorite.
10. List up to five of your favorite lines/quotes from the books or movies.
Only five? LOL!
"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its black gates are guarded by more than just orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the great eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust. The very air you breathe is a poisonous fume. Not with ten thousand men could you do this. It is folly."
"They're taking the hobbits to Isengard." (Mostly because of that cursed video which will now be stuck in my head, yet again, for the next week :-D )
"They have a cave troll."
"Move your feet."
"What is this new devilry?"