Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Movies seen this year in review

This has been an interesting year in movies.  I saw thirteen new movies this year in the theater, and eight older/classic movies.  Of the thirteen new movies, I only bought one on DVD.  One.  That one is The Great Wall, and I have watched the DVD quite a few times.  It's my favorite movie of 2017, and that's pretty sad.  The rest were okay (ie: Wonder Woman, Pirates, Spiderman, Beauty and the Beast), or quite fun (like Thor: Ragnarok and King Arthur), or I-Never-Need-To-See-These-Again (Dunkirk, The Last Jedi). 

However, the best new movie I saw in 2017 was Darkest Hour.  That one was sooooooooo very well done and very moving.  I will probably end up up picking it up on DVD next year when it comes out, though it's not the type of movie I normally tend to re-watch.  But Ben Mendelsohn, and the truly outstanding performance by Gary Oldman are worth it.  Lily James and Kirsten Scott Thomas are also great in it.  Highly recommended movie for any who enjoy history, WWII, or dramas.


Of the older films I saw in the theater, the highlights were Ben-Hur and Red RiverBen-Hur I've had the privilege of seeing many times on the big screen, and I will never tire of it.  I got to take my brother-in-law with me this time, and that was delightful.  He had never seen it before, and given the chance to introduce someone to that movie, the big screen is the only way to go.  He was blown away by it.  I got to see Red River at the TCM Film Festival, surrounded by my classic movie loving friends, and it was just an amazing experience all the way around.

I suspect next year will be a much better year for new movies for me.  I'm particularly looking forward to Ready Player One, Avengers Infinity War, Ant-Man and the Wasp, Black Panther, Wreck-It Ralph 2, Tomb Raider, Robin Hood, Expendables 4, and the next Fantastic Beasts movie.  I'd add on the Han Solo movie, but I'm a bit scared of it. 


I am probably most really really REALLY looking forward to the first Chaos Walking movie, but it appears I have to wait until 2019 for that one.  Patience, patience.... I'll just have to read the books again to tide me over.

7 comments:

Olivia said...

" I'd add on the Han Solo movie, but I'm a bit scared of it." Ain't we all. XD

I need to read Ready Player One! I've been hearing about it recently.

Hope you had a merry Christmas! :)

Hamlette (Rachel) said...

Definitely want to see Darkest Hour.

You can onslaught me with whatever you need to share about Last Jedi now.

Also, I got to see the Infinity War trailer before Jedi, and I kind of got all breathless and tingly and excited and worried and yeah............

DKoren said...

I read Ready Player One earlier this year and really liked it. The trailer certainly captures the look nd feel of that world, though there are a lot of scenes in that trailer that don't seem to come from the book. Not that that's a problem. I'll be in it for Ben Mendelsohn... the rest is gravy! You too! Hope you had a great Christmas as well.

DKoren said...

Woo for Infinity War trailer! Looks pretty darn cool on the big screen.

If we're going to share LJ thoughts, you'll probably need to start the ball rolling in an email. I got crickets right now; I'm played out on the subject.

Laura said...

Infinity War trailer was intriguing! Loved that you also loved DARKEST HOUR. :)

Best wishes,
Laura

DKoren said...

Yes, a very good movie! I was delighted to read the Golden Globe winners list this morning and see that Gary Oldman won.

Jessi Millwood said...

Natural Herbal Medicine To Cure {HERPES DISEASE} TOTALLY HERE
Do you need a solution to cure your Herpes Disease contact Chief Dr Lucky to help and he will surely help you to cure your Herpes Virus .. I have suffered from Herpes-2 Virus for 4years ago that almost took my life. But one day I was searching the internet and I found Chief Dr Lucky saw so many testimonies on how Chief Dr Lucky helps people in curing their deadly diseases, and I contacted Chief Dr Lucky, asked him for solutions and he started the remedies for my health. He prepared herbal medicine for me and I received the herbal medicine and after using it for 2 weeks my condition has greatly improved, all my symptoms including Abdominal pain, Nausea and vomiting, Loss of appetite stopped, so I went to my doc and was confirmed negative. I am Herpes Virus free! contact the herbal doctor via his email> chiefdrlucky@gmail.com also visit his page> http://facebook.com/chiefdrlucky Website> Https://chiefdrluckyherbaltherapy.wordpress.com/ or his cell number / WhatsApp> +2348132777335