Sunday, December 31, 2017

Reflections on New Year's Eve

New Year's Eve has almost always been a melancholy night for me.  Year's end makes me moody, and my moods tend to run dark this night.  I won't be watching my old New Year's Eve standard, Reilly: Ace of Spies, at least.  Though I suspect there will be some Sam Neill tonight.

What a year!  For movies, it started with the high of Rogue One, ended with the low of The Last Jedi.  It gave me Slow West and Salvation, two modern Westerns I've probably watched collectively on DVD more than any other movies this year.  I am completely remiss in writing a review on either.  I could not be more delighted that Ben Mendelsohn is in one and Mads Mikkelsen the other, and that both are great movies.

It was a lousy year for new soundtracks, though a good one for new releases of old soundtracks.  I still need to pick up Damnation Alley, which is one I've waited for a long time.  I think of new soundtracks... hm, did I even buy one?  It does not appear so ("It does appear so to Mr. Wallace"... random movie quote, name that movie, LOL!), and that is sad.  Maybe next year will bring some good music.

There was an incredible solar eclipse this year, the most beautiful I've personally seen (my third), and a trip to Idaho that changed my family's lives in so many ways, big and small.  I'm now living here and am very happy, looking forward to seeing what 2018 brings.

So, here we are.  End of a busy, tumultuous, stressful, crazy year. 

I'll leave you with this song.  It's one of my favorite discoveries this year (via a Mads Mikkelsen movie, naturally, though this is the happy version that doesn't break my heart.), and it is really is perfect for this winter night.



Here's to a Happy New Year.

5 comments:

Laura said...

Happy New Year, and enjoy your new snowy home!!!!

Here's to 2018!

Best wishes,
Laura

Tom said...

Thanks for sharing the song. I need to watch Damnation Alley some time. Best wishes for the new year.

DKoren said...

Thanks, Laura! We've warmed up here a lot, so the snow's melting.

DKoren said...

You know, even I haven't seen Damnation Alley. But the vehicle used in that movie used to be parked at this place off the 101 freeway in LA, and I LOVED seeing that thing every time we drove by there. It's long gone now, don't know where, but I've still got a fond spot in my heart for it. Should see the movie myself one of these days.

Happy New Year!

Hamlette (Rachel) said...

I nominated you for The Liebster Award :-) Play if you want to!