Tuesday, December 12, 2017

The Marvel Heroes Movie Tag

Hamlette tagged me for this one.  Idea is to name a movie that meets the following Marvel Heroes criteria.  Here goes!

Captain America: Name a movie with a "fish out of water" theme. 
Overboard (1987)- I'm not particularly a romantic comedy person, but I dearly love this movie.  Goldie Hawn plays a snooty rich girl who loses her memory and gains a new and completely different life, and, for some reason I have yet to figure out, this movie just makes me happy.

Thor: Name a movie about learning to use power for the good of others. 
Doctor Strange (2016) - I suppose I shouldn't answer a Marvel tag with a Marvel movie, but I love this movie soooooooo much, and Steven Strange (Benedict Cumberbatch) certainly learns how to use his power for the good of others and not just himself.


Iron Man: Name a movie about an inventor. 
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (1954) - Captain Nemo invents the beautiful, fantastic Nautilus.


Incredible Hulk: Name a movie with a main character who has two sides to them. 
No Way Out (1987) - Lt. Tom Farrell (Kevin Costner) certainly has two sides, and that's part of what makes this twisty movie fun.

Hawkeye: Name a movie that involves archery. 
For Your Eyes Only (1981)- Melina Havelock (Carole Bouquet) is one of my favorite Bond girls, and she favors a crossbow.



Black Widow: Name a movie about spies. 
Ronin (1998) - In fact, I'm way overdue to watch this one.  Wonderful twisty/turny spy movie with Stellan Skarsgard and Jean Reno and Sean Bean.  And, of course, Robert DeNiro in one of the few movies I really love him in.

Black Panther: Name a movie about royalty. 
A Royal Affair (2012)  - A movie about Danish royalty for a change, instead of English, with Mads Mikkelsen and Alicia Vikander.  I liked it enough to buy a copy, even if Mads and Alicia break my heart into tiny little pieces.



Vision: Name a movie involving androids or robots. 
Going with Forbidden Planet (1956) for this one, because Robby the Robot is the classic robot.


Spider-man: Name a movie about teens. 
Stand By Me (1986) - one of the few movies about young people I will happily watch at any time.  River Phoenix and that whole cast are wonderful.  My sister and I still quote it all the time.  "I dropped the comb..." 

Ant Man: Name a movie about thieves. 
To Catch a Thief (1955).  Because I'm not particularly fond of thieves, but retired thieves trying to clear their name... that I like.  This is probably my favorite Hitchcock movie.


Scarlet Witch: Name a movie with powerful female character. 
The Fifth Element (1997) - Leeloo!  'Nuff said.


Dr. Strange: Name a movie where a character learns to be a better person. 
The Book of Life (2014) - Joachin (voiced by Channing Tatum) has a nice, satisfying arc as he becomes a better person in this one.

Falcon: Name a movie with a great sidekick. 
The Great Race (1965) - Peter Falk as Max is the most faithful and funniest sidekick I know.  He is the best.  Very hard to stand your own when you're the sidekick to Jack Lemmon as the dastardly and hilarious Professor Fate, but Max does it handily.


(this is here because one cannot mention The Great Race without thinking of the pie fight, and the pie fight is too good not to share)

Loki: Name a movie with an antagonist/villain who steals the show. 
Rogue One (2016).  I think I have a few movies I could answer for this one, but I might as well cut to the chase.  Much as I love Every Single Character in this movie, it's still Krennic who steals every scene he's in for me.


Agent Coulson: Name a movie where an ordinary character faces an extraordinary situation. 
The Terminator (1984) - Sarah Connor is pretty much the epitome of ordinary woman thrown into a most extraordinary and dangerous situation.

Peter Quill: Name a movie with a character who is more than they appear to be. 
5 Card Stud (1968) - Robert Mitchum's Reverend character certainly is much more than he appears to be.  This is a nifty Western that doesn't get nearly enough attention.


Gamora: Name a movie with a character who changes allegiances. 
The Phantom (1996) - This is a superhero movie I think is great fun.  Sala (Catherine Zeta-Jones) is the character who switches sides in this one.

Drax: Name a movie with a physically powerful character. 
Conan the Barbarian (1982) - Going with one of the obvious answers for this one... Arnold Schwarzenegger. 

Groot: Name a movie with a character who doesn't talk much. 
Valhalla Rising (2009) - Mads Mikkelsen's warrior character never says a word.  Being Mads Mikkelsen, he doesn't have to ever speak to communicate.  This is a bizarre, violent, surreal movie that I could only sit through once, though I quite liked the first half.


Rocket: Name a movie with a talking animal. 
Babe (1995) - I didn't think I'd like this movie, and I resisted even seeing it for years, but was finally shown it, and it was very sweet.  Being an animal movie, it makes me cry repeatedly, and I have no need to see it again, even though it's very good.

3 comments:

Hamlette (Rachel) said...

So, I've read this post 4 or 5 times now. Finally have a chance to comment.

All these choices are so YOU! I keep nodding, going, "Yup, that makes sense. Yup, yup." Except for Stand By Me. Somehow, I'd forgotten you liked that. Now I'm just going to have to see it one day.

Also, I should see 5 Card Stud again. I recall disliking it as a teen, but we've seen time and again that westerns I disliked as a teen have a way of being way better than I thought back then. I may have had really bad taste in westerns as a teen or something. Or... is there someone in it that I like who is a bad guy? Cuz that always messed with me so much back then (and sometimes still does, it's true).

I still haven't seen Babe either. Sigh. I need more time.

DKoren said...

We watched 5 Card Stud together, years ago. I think you liked it, but it isn't one you have any great need to see again. I'm sometimes surprised I like that one, because you know I'm not a mystery fan, and that one's a mystery. Dean Martin, Robert Mitchum and the Western setting must sell it for me.

Yes, Stand by Me is a great movie, though I'm not sure what you'd think of it. The characters are fantastic, though.

Babe is... cute, but I'd much rather show you a bunch of the animated movies you haven't seen yet over that one. :-D

Hamlette (Rachel) said...

You know, I kind of had this niggling feeling that I watched it with you. One of these days I'll be in a Martin & Mitchum mood again and see if I can watch it -- I think Dad has it, actually.

I don't know what I'd think of Stand By Me either, which is why I want to see it. I can't seem to draw a bead on it unwatched.

Yes, that's been the trouble with Babe for 20 years now -- there are always other things I'd rather watch.