Sunday, January 13, 2008

The Desperate Hours

1955, with Humphrey Bogart and Fredric March. Odd. This is a fine movie with a fine cast -- and I didn't like it. There's absolutely nothing wrong with this movie. It moves well, it's tense, the cast is great (Robert Middleton steals the show). I think I just don't enjoy watching panicky hysterical people very much. Makes me roll my eyes and say "get on with it already," regardless of the fact that that's how people do behave.

I think I also wanted it to be a very different movie. See, they sort of set up this vengeance thing with Bogart and a detective... and it never goes anywhere. And that disappointed me greatly. Of course, half of that is because the detective was played by Arthur Kennedy (a good guy for a change!) and his partner was my favorite Bert Freed. Naturally, I wanted a lot more screen time for the two of them. Naturally, I didn't get it.

Oh well. Good movie, just not my cup of tea.

3 comments:

Rachel Kovaciny said...

Awww, Arthur Kennedy as a good guy? I'd watch it just for that!

DKoren said...

You'd probably like this one more than I did, cuz you also like Bogey more than I do. Arthur Kennedy really needed more screen time. I liked him as an upstanding good guy for a change!

Rachel Kovaciny said...

I almost watched this at Mom & Dad's, but ended up seeing "Anatomy of a Murder" instead cuz it'd been so long I barely remembered it. Maybe next visit!