Saturday, January 21, 2006

10 signs a piece of fiction was written by me

This is an interesting meme from QueenoftheSkies on LJ. I'm going strictly with novels here, which, HAH! no one has read, cuz they ain't been published. Yet. Don't worry, I'm working on remedying that. In the meantime, this is what you have to look forward to:

1. It will be scifi, fantasy, or a combo of both.

2. It will explore to varying degrees several of the following: freedom, loyalty, friendship/love, integrity, honor, sacrifice, oppression, and redemption.

3. Someone will betray someone and usually not who you think it will be.

4. Someone will get backhanded and someone will probably get their throat slit.

5. You'll cry "Noooooo!" in your best Luke Skywalker imitation (pick Star Wars, Empire, or Jedi -- there's a "Noooooo! from Luke in all of 'em) because something will happen that you really REALLY don't want to happen to a character(s) I've made you care about.

6. The superstructure will fall off. Or, in non-Deb-nautical-plot talk, just when you think it can't get any worse for the main characters, it will.

7. People get hurt/die. Lots of them. Usually ones you care about. Sometimes this is linked to number 5, often not.

8. There's much more to the bad guy's plan than the main characters know about until the end of the story, and, yeah, there's usually a McGuffin.

9. It will be visually written and the plot will move fast

10. I use the British "towards" instead of the American "toward" though you won't probably see that because there's a handy feature called "find/replace" that neatly solves my Britishismist leanings, but, for those who beta my work, it's a dead giveaway that I wrote it.

1 comment:

Rachel Kovaciny said...

Hmm, I may have to think up my own list of "10 signs I wrote something" now. Tempting...

And lol on #10--although you should add that you also Britishly add an extra 'u' to a lot of words...you colourful writer you ;-)