Monday, June 05, 2006

Interesting words

Ran into two new words in the past few days.

volplane - to glide in or as if in an airplane
defilade - to arrange (fortifications) so as to protect the lines from frontal or enfilading fire and the interior from fire from above or behind.

The latter, of course, forced me to also look up enfilade, which I have heard of, but couldn't have defined. It means gunfire directed from a flanking position along the length of an enemy battle line.

No comments:

Post a Comment