If you're a fan of Lord of the Rings, head on over to The Edge of the Precipice, where Hamlette is having a really nice giveaway to celebrate Bilbo and Frodo's birthday! Check it out.
And now for some questions and answers...
1. Who introduced you to Tolkien's stories? A friend.
2. How old were you when you first ventured into Middle Earth? I was in college.
3. Did you read the books first, or see movie versions first? Read the books first and wouldn't have it any other way in this case.
4. A dragon or a balrog -- which would you rather fight? I rather prefer a dragon! I don’t think anyone but a wizard can fight a balrog!
5. Who are three of your favorite characters? (Feel free to elaborate on why.) Aragorn – who is the character I most relate to and the one I most want to be. Frodo – who is just amazingly determined and gets the ring all the way to Mt. Doom. I admire that immensely. And Boromir, because he is noble and honorable and looks after Merry and Pippin and takes out all those orcs. Sure, he gets tempted by the ring, but that just makes his redemption cooler.
6. Have you ever dressed up like a Tolkien character? No, but the family was just talking about how awesome it would be to dress up as the fellowship for Halloween, since we all like different characters.
7. If someone asks you to go on adventure, how do you respond? When do we leave?
8. Have you read any of the "history of Middle Earth" books? Er, I've read the Silmarillion, is that what you're referring to?
9. Would you rather drink a bowl of Ent Draught or a glass of Old Winyards? Ent Draught.
10. List up to ten of your favorite lines/quotes from the books or movies. These are all from Fellowship, as that is my favorite, and the only one I watch when any regularity. I don't think I actually know any lines by heart from any of the other movies.
"I would have gone with you to the end, into the very fires of Mordor." - Aragorn
"They have a cave troll." - Boromir
"What is this new devilry?" - Boromir
"What was that?" - Merry
"It comes in pints?" - Pippin
"Watch your feet." - Aragorn
"Men are weak." - Elrond
"Have you ever been called home by the clear ringing of silver trumpets?" - Boromir
"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its black gates are guarded by
more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep. The great
Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire, and ash,
and dust. The very air you breathe is a poisonous fume. Not with
ten thousand men could you do this. It is folly." Boromir
"What are you looking at?" - Haldir. Okay, he doesn't actually say this, but one day, we had the movie muted and my family each had a character and were providing the lines (this is a highly amusing thing to do on those movies you've seen a million times and think you know by heart... highly recommended for the amusement factor), and my sister said this when Haldir's looking at Gimli in the woods of Lothlorien, and... it stuck. It is impossible to watch the movie without hearing that line.