Sunday, September 02, 2012

John Williams at the Hollywood Bowl

My family and I were able to attend the concert last night at the Bowl.  It was quite an enjoyable evening, marred only by the head cold I currently have, which damped my enthusiasm quite a bit, and the obnoxious drunk couple sitting in front of us who felt being loud and rude was appropriate public behavior.

But the music was great, and that's what we were there for.  I particularly enjoyed the clips of movie swordfight scenes set to a cue from Williams' score to Adventures of Tin-Tin.  How could I not love seeing clips from Black Swan, Scaramouche, Prisoner of Zenda (both versions), Mark of Zorro, Robin Hood, Three Musketeers, and too many other films to name.  But I do admit, Tyrone Power and Stewart Granger on the big screen, for no matter how short a time, sure had my attention.  Really in the mood for some good old fashioned swashbuckling right now!

They also played the last reel from E.T, with live music.  Something about that live music really made seeing that special.

They also played the theme from Laura, with clips from various romantic films over the years. I appreciated that.

And, of course, there were the standard Star Wars favorites, which are always fun.  The addition of a chorus allowed them to do "Duel of the Fates," one I hadn't heard live in quite a few years now.  Really enjoyed that.

We took my nephew, who wore his Captain America costume... with a Jedi robe and lightsaber.  I can't tell you how fun that was, observing reactions to this little boy dressed as a superhero and a Jedi.  Very funny.  He really enjoyed the concert, the Star Wars music the most, of course.  Though he kept asking us when they were going to play the love theme from Attack of the Clones, and, sadly, that wasn't on the program.  The end of ET had him spellbound (he's not yet seen that one), and he was asking for a flying bicycle afterwards.

Thanks to John Williams and the LA Philharmonic for a lovely concert.

1 comment:

Tom said...

"Duel of the Fates"--- what a great theme. It always reminds me of Darth Maul and that climactic battle in Episode I. That's awesome that they had all the clips playing in the background; all the more exciting!! Neat time! Thanks for sharing!