Thursday, February 14, 2019

Announcing A Tribute to Vic Morrow blogathon

Set the date!  April 5-7, I will be co-hosting a blogathon with Hamlette dedicated to Vic Morrow.  We invite you to join us.  You can sign up here or over on Hamlette's blog, Hamlette's Soliloquy.

Vic Morrow is one of my favorite actors.  Discovering him in the television series Combat! was one of those moments of an entertainment title changing my life.  I'd watched some Combat! back in college, but it wasn't until I was into my thirties before I had the opportunity to rewatch -- and I was completely hooked.  The show holds up so well, the stories are so well written, well-acted by everyone involved -- but Vic Morrow... he was something else again.  He did things above and beyond merely acting. He embodied the character of Sergeant Saunders in such a way that the character transcended mere television.  I'm a mere spectator, watching these episodes on a television screen, and yet I feel his characters in a way I can't say I've felt with any other actor, even my other favorites.  I know I've talked about this before on this blog somewhere, but watching Vic act taught me more about how to write a story than all my college classes combined.

Vic Morrow and Combat! also brought me together with my best friend, Hamlette, and a bunch of other like-minded individuals I'm proud to call my squadmates.  And I would never have the opportunity to visit Australia if not for Vic and this show.

And Combat! is only one piece of his career.  He made a lot of movies, guest-starred in a lot of television shows, and was a fine director.  Some of the finest Combat! episodes are ones he directed.

You are welcome to write a review of a single TV show episode for this blogathon, or review a movie, or write up anything else related to Vic Morrow that comes to mind.  If you're not sure if your idea will work, just discuss it with either myself or Hamlette.

Hamlette created a whole slew of buttons for this event.  Find one you like and share it on your blog or website -- there are plenty to choose from!

Entries so far: