Sunday, March 28, 2021

The Fandom Tag

I'm stealing this from Hamlette, even though I wasn't tagged, cuz it looked like a lot of fun.  I'm also not tagging anyone for the same reason... I'm just a backdoor tag-answerer.

RULES:

1.  Include the graphic somewhere in your post!
2.  Answer the questions!
3.  Tag two fellow fandom fanatics!

 


What’s the first fandom you remember becoming a part of?  

Star Wars in 1977.  Oh, there were television shows before that I now know had groups of fans, but at the time, I thought they were just something my own family loved and watched.  There was no sense of fandom.  It was only when Star Wars came out that I personally became aware of how many fans there were out there for the movie. 


What’s the newest fandom you’ve come to enjoy? 
Queen.  I mean I've always liked a few of their songs (and that they had a Roger Taylor who was also a drummer, just like my Roger Taylor from Duran Duran), but it wasn't until Bohemian Rhapsody came out that I truly became a fan, learned all about the band, bought various albums and a Queen hoodie to wear, discovered all kinds of new-to-me songs, etc.  John Deacon's my favorite band member.


 
What’s a fandom guaranteed to give you feels? 
My music fandoms:  Opera and orchestral soundtracks.  Nothing hits my emotions harder or faster than an opera or soundtrack I love.  (ie: 2:50-4:30 from this cue...)

 
What’s a guilty pleasure fandom of yours? 
Nah, I don't feel guilty for loving something.  If something made me truly feel guilty, I wouldn't enjoy it.
 
What’s the weirdest fandom you’ve heard of/are a part of? 
I really don't know any weird fandoms, soooooo, not sure how to answer this.


Favorite popular/widely-known fandom? 
MCU.  The Marvel movies (and now WandaVision in the series area) have given me so much pleasure over the years.  Spending time with most of these characters just makes me exceedingly happy.  Even the movies that aren't my personal favorites are still very well done.
 
Favorite bookish fandom? 
The Atlantis Grail series by Vera Nazarian.  It's the only book series for which I joined a FB group in order to follow and talk about the stories/characters with other like-minded fans.  I binge-read the entire series in 4 or 5 days.  The author just released a novella about one of the main characters, and I devoured that in an afternoon.
 
 
What do you consider your ‘homebase,’ a fandom you can always come back to? 
Duran Duran.  They say that what you obsess over in your teen/high school years is what you will always go back to, and so far, I've found that's pretty true.  The movies I loved then, and more importantly, the music.  Growing up in a classical-music-only household, living through the Duran Duran craze changed my life.  No internet back then, so I really had to rely on friends who were also obsessed fans to bring me the latest magazines, watch MTV at their houses to catch the videos, etc.  My first completed novel was a Duran Duran adventure novel (a la the Beatles Help!), so the band was instrumental (hah!) in getting me to reach The End on a long writing project.   So yeah, the band members and their songs and their 80's videos will always put me in a happy, homebase comfort zone.
 

What’s a fandom you know all about…but aren’t actually into it? 
Harry Potter.  I've read the books, seen the movies, but the series really doesn't do anything for me.  I like the characters, but don't love them.  I even donated all my copies of the books to the library cuz I knew I'd never re-read them.
 
Which fandom has the best characters? 
Combat! (1962-1965).  Saunders, Hanley, Kirby, Caje, Littlejohn, Doc, Billy, even all the secondary and guest characters represent, hands-down, the best set of characters.
 
 
Name your all-time favorite ship. 
That darned "ship" question.   I hate this question cuz I just don't "ship" characters.
However, I don't know if they're my all-time favorite, but Nick and Nora Charles are just meant to be.
 

What’s a fandom you’re curious about joining
None.
---------------

And there we have it.  Feel free to play along if you haven't been tagged and want to join in on sharing your favorite fandoms!

3 comments:

Hamlette (Rachel) said...

I like how we s'match on the whole guilty-pleasure thing. Those questions never make sense to me.

Every time a "ship" question comes up, I just pick a favorite pair. Canonical ships are valid ships! And, yeah, Nick and Nora are fantastic. I just found out there's a TV show version of them with Peter Lawford as Nick, and now I need it in my life. Naturally, it's not available on DVD, but... maybe one day...

klantenservicehelp said...

Thanks for giving the information. This blog is very helpful. I hope you will keep sharing such information in the future also.
Gmail bellen

Gmail Nederland said...

Gmail's cache and cookies, as well as those of your browser, can be cleared. Our browser stores cache when we surf. This cache can cause problems and cause Gmail to stop working. As a result, you can clear the cache and cookies to prevent this..................... Gmail Bellen