Monday, July 29, 2013

Octopussy (1983)

Okay, let’s get this one out of the way.  I’ve long considered this my least favorite Bond film.  I didn’t like it when I saw it in the theater when it premiered.  Watching it on television every now and then did nothing to change my mind.  So, how did it fare this viewing?  Well, I will admit it wasn’t as bad as I remembered.  That doesn’t mean it was good, or that it still isn’t going to end up at the bottom of my personal list, but, the best thing I can say for it was wasn’t as bad as I remembered.

I couldn’t remember the pre-credit sequence at all when it started.  I finally vaguely remembered the cute little plane Bond escapes in when it appeared, but yeah.  I was VERY hazy on what happens in most of this film.  Actually, I’m still hazy on it.  There’s a renegade Russian colonel who wants to start a war, there’s a fake Faberge egg which contained something he needs, there’s Louis Jordan doing his own thing, and Octopussy doing her own thing, and it all sort of ties together in India and Germany and for someone who love plots, I guess I really sort of tuned out of this one.


But that’s part of the problem with it.  There’s nothing memorable here.  There’s nothing really wrong with this movie, it is just heavy on the blah.  The stunts in this one are far more exciting than the rest of it.  The little plane escape in the beginning, a car chase through Indian streets, Bond gets hunted through the jungle by Louis Jordan on elephant back, there’s a fight on top of a moving train, and a fight on top of an airplane. This movie outdoes itself with the crazy action.


But I don't like any of the characters, and nothing grabs me here.

Favorite parts:  Um... none?  Okay, I like the pre-credits sequence.  And I like the auction scene where Bond bids for the egg.  And the train chase has its moments.


Music:  Good
Theme song:  My least favorite song so far, please make it go away
Credit sequence:  Okay
Bond girl:  I like the woman who helps Bond in the pre-credits sequence, don’t like anybody else
Bad guys:  Do not like any of them
Overall personal rating:  1 out of 5

 

6 comments:

Hamlette (Rachel) said...

The auction! I remember that! And that's all, lol.

DKoren said...

Hee! Yeah, very forgettable.

Patti said...

This was one of the few Bond films I ever saw...and it was the last one I saw. Like you, I didn't care for it...perhaps that is why I never bothered again with Bond.

DKoren said...

Yeah, this one would not make me want to watch any others in the series either, if I was unfamiliar with the films. Fortunately, just about every other film is better than this one.

James the Reviewer said...

While I don't hate Octopussy, I can't disagree, the movie is kind of dumb and poorly acted. Moore was only made two Bond movies I would good, which would be "Live and Let Die" and "the Spy Who Loved Me."

-James

DKoren said...

Hi James! Welcome. Yes, those two are infinitely superior films to this one and View to a Kill. Neither is a favorite of mine, but that's just personal preference. They're still good films.