Monday, November 07, 2011

Listy Things -- Aldo Ray

My favorite Aldo Ray films:

1. We're No Angels (1955)
2. Battle Cry (1955)
3. What Did You Do in the War, Daddy? (1966)
4. Nightfall (1957)
5. Men in War (1957)
6. God's Little Acre (1958)
7. Kill a Dragon (1967)
8. Miss Sadie Thompson (1953)
9. Pat and Mike (1952)
10. The Secret of NIMH (1982)

Mmmm, Aldo Ray. Love his brawniness, love that raspy voice, love how vulnerable he can still be despite that physical strength. If this was a "favorite roles" list, there would be a couple television episodes on here, but I chose film, so...

God's Little Acre is a rather bizarre film, but yowza, Aldo Ray is so hot, I don't care about the rest. Same with Miss Sadie Thompson. I can't say I like the film (Rain with Joan Crawford is a much better version), but it's got a good cast, and I just ignore the stuff I don't like. Besides, with scenes like the opening scene -- Aldo Ray and a very young Charles Bronson (Charles Buchinksy in those days) rising out of the tropical surf, dripping wet and in nothing but swim trunks -- I admit, any substance to that film is completely lost on me after that beginning of sheer eye candy appeal. Um, yeah... where was I? And the last film on my list is indeed an animated film, with just his voice, but I really love his character of Sullivan in that film, so I'm counting it for now.



(next up... Lee Marvin)

3 comments:

Patti said...

Our family loves We're No Angels. Ray, Bogey, and Ustinov were great together.

I, too, enjoy Men in War, though Robert Ryan is the draw for me in that one. Since you mentioned it, I'm thinking it's time for a re-watch.

Did you ever see the film he did with Judy Holliday..."The Marrying Kind?" I adore Judy Holliday, so I wanted to see all of her films. I liked it alot.

By the way, about your comment on my Act of Violence post. TCM aired it last month, so I finally recorded a copy for myself. (I had seen it before.) I deleted it after recording it...wish I had known you before I did that, though, because I would have been happy to record a disc for you.

I don't have a working VHS player, so that's why I'm at the mercy of TCM to show Souls at Sea.

Irene Palfy said...

Oh - I love Aldo Ray.. Love his voice - and for sure loved his looks.. Had the same feeling about GOD'S LITTLE ACRE.. I like MISS SADIE THOPMSON - but I have to admit that I am yet to see RAIN with Joan Crawford - so maybe I am going to reverse my opinion..

Hamlette (Rachel) said...

Mmmmmmmmmmmm, Aldo Ray. When he's on screen with Vic Morrow... who cares what the movie is like? :-9