Thursday, November 03, 2011

Listy things! -- William Holden

I have at least three movie reviews I'm behind on, but I've been fighting a cold and can't focus on anything right now... so we're going to do some lists for November, starting with my personal top ten favorite movies from several of my favorite actors.

I absolutely love how many people can adore the same actor and yet love completely different movies starring them. As they say, how boring it would be if we liked the same things, right? And when there's a jillion movies to choose from, and only ten can go on a list... So, here's my personal favorites (ie: the most watched go-to movies when I'm in a William Holden mood). There's still a few of his films I haven't yet seen, that I have a feeling will be on this list, once I do see them, like Streets of Laredo. That's the thing... favorite lists are so flexible and ever-changing. But as of this moment:

William Holden

1. The Wild Bunch (1969)
2. The Horse Soldiers (1959)
3. Sunset Blvd. (1950)
4. Escape from Fort Bravo (1953)
5. Alvarez Kelly (1966)
6. Stalag 17 (1953)
7. Picnic (1955)
8. The 7th Dawn (1964)
9. Golden Boy (1939)
10. Texas (1941)


(Up tomorrow... Dana Andrews)

5 comments:

Patti said...

Oh, it IS funny how we are all so totally different. As you know, I am crazy about William Holden...he's easily my #1 guy, and I'm on a quest to see all of his films.

I've seen all on your list, except for Alvarez Kelly. It's funny, though, I absolutely could not get through The Wild Bunch...and that one also stars my #3 guy, Robert Ryan. I have a low tolerance for Westerns, so it just didn't do it for me, even with 2 of my top 3 guys. I DID enjoy Escape from Fort Bravo and The Horse Soldiers, though, and they're Westerns, so I'm not sure why The Wild Bunch didn't rate for me.

I am definitely with you on several of your others ones---Sunset Boulevard, Stalag 17, Picnic, Golden Boy, The 7th Dawn. He made a ton of movies I love, so I suppose it's okay if I don't overly care for a few of them; but somehow I feel disloyal for not loving all his work.

Anyhow, hope you feel better soon. I have focus problems too right now, but it's not because of a cold, it's because of SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder). The diminished light in the fall and winter months really affects my ability to concentrate.

Patti said...

Forgot to say, I'm looking forward to your Dana Andrews list. I like him alot...he's on my top 10 list.

DKoren said...

Whereas, Westerns are my Number 1 film genre. If I watched nothing else for the rest of my life, I'd probably be fine with that.

I'm actually fairly new to The Wild Bunch, having only truly seen it all the way through for the first time a couple years ago, and it's definitely not a movie for everyone. But right now, it's one I go to a lot. I relate to his character immensely, and so the movie is kind of comfort food for me right now.

I almost was going to do a list of my "5 least favorite WH movies," just to balance out the positive. There are definitely a few I really have no desire to see again, and it's not that he didn't do a good job, it's the the movie was bad.

Hamlette (Rachel) said...

Mmmmmmmmmmmm, Texas! I could use some cheering up, young Holden and Ford style. Mmmmm :-9



PS Dana! Dana! Dana!

DKoren said...

We should watch that one next time! Over a couple nights maybe? I'm so in the mood to see "Texas" again!