Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Movies seen over Christmas vacation

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays! Hope it was a great one.

I got to go see two movies at the theater this past weekend.

Aquaman (2018) - This was a very enjoyable movie.  Pure popcorn fun.  Definitely my favorite so far of the DC movies.  I'm not much of a DC fan in general, but this one just really works well.  I think a lot of that is because it doesn't have a message or agenda, and it doesn't try to be anything more than what it is:  a superhero movie.  And it does that really well.  There is no great depth to this one, the plot doesn't try to be clever or manipulate its viewers, it's just straightforward and straight shooting.  I liked the actors and the visuals were cool.  There was a lot of humor, and some serious moments, and some striking imagery.  There was a lot of beauty in the underwater landscapes that I appreciated.  And a submarine.  I'm always going to appreciate submarines.  Alas, a completely unmemorable film score for this one, but otherwise, a very fun romp.


Bohemian Rhapsody (2018) - I loved this movie so much.  I can't wait to go back to see it in the theater again.  I'm not even that much of a Queen fan, though I have always admired their talent, and I love many of their songs ("Crazy Little Thing Called Love" has been in the top 5 of my favorite non-Duran Duran rock songs for ages), but this movie is so classy and respectful and full of the band's love of creating music/performing.  It's beautiful, it's sad, it sticks with you afterwards.  This is movie celebrates their lives and their talent, it isn't a sordid expose.  I like that.  The casting is completely uncanny.  The casting director should get an oscar for finding this ensemble cast who is freaking perfect.  I was watching Queen videos the day after, and I literally cannot tell the real Brian May from the actor who played him in the movie.  (My brother-in-law, who grew up watching and listening to Queen, commented that it was actually creepy how much of a resemblance there was... we're all fully onboard with the hilarious internet theory that Brian May (since he is an astrophysicist) figured out how to time travel and came to the future to make this movie. ROFL!)  The others are truly amazing as well.  Rami Malek is excellent as Freddie Mercury, and he really looks like him, particularly with short hair and a mustache.  Of course, I've been listening to Queen songs and watching their videos ever since seeing the movie.


I'm still trying to decide if I want to go see Mary Poppins Returns.  I've been hearing good things about it... but I just don't know if it's for me. 

2 comments:

Charity said...

I've heard good things about both of these.

I loved Mary Poppins Returns, but I don't know you well enough to say if you'd enjoy it or not. It's like a spoon full of sugar. ;)

DKoren said...

Aquaman could have used some tightening up in some action sequences, but otherwise surprisingly solid.

I think if the weather holds, I will go and check out Mary Poppins. Your praise is one of the things that makes me want to go see it!