Thursday, March 02, 2006

Get those fingers typing

Wake up calls for writers come in all shapes and sizes. What jogs one into gear won't work on someone else. Today was an odd sort of wake up call day for me, a kick in the pants day, a get-the-lead-out-and-get-back-to-serious-writing day. Nothing important happened, no life-changing event or anything like that, just some emails exchanged with a friend regarding the sudden and ridiculous demise of Astounding Tales. But, sometimes, that's all it takes.

So, spending my lunch break, not writing like I meant to, but pulling a book off the shelf to check on one little tiny insignificant trivial detail -- and then spending the rest of the hour flipping through the rest of the book, mindlessly drooling.... bad, very VERY bad. (All right, all right, the book was The Complete Films of William Holden... and I can't help it if it's loaded with pictures and I'm a sucker for a handsome guy. If there was a matching book on Dana Andrews, I guarantee you I'd have to lock it up and mail the key to Rachel because it would be twice as dangerous to have just lying around.) Fortunately, that episode was BEFORE I got fired up, but it's a prime example of how NOT to "waste" my lunch breaks in the future. (yes, waste is in quotes because it may not have been a productive hour, but it was an awfully enjoyable one.)

1 comment:

Rachel Kovaciny said...

If there was a matching book on Dana Andrews, I guarantee you I'd have to lock it up and mail the key to Rachel because it would be twice as dangerous to have just lying around.

If you gave me the key, I'd just have to fly out there, sneak up on your house, steal the book while you were out walking the puppies...good thing there's no such book, huh?