Saturday, April 04, 2015

MEMM - Day 24 - Favorite moment/line in The Battle of the Five Armies



Well, now.  All of it.  I’m not being facetious, either.  When trying to answer this question, I realized this movie joins a very select set of movies where I love every part of the movie so much, it is simply impossible to pick a single favorite moment.  From the opening logo to the end credits, I love it all.  I have very clear favorite moments in the other five Middle-Earth movies, moments I wait for, moments I don’t want to miss.  But in this one?  The whole movie is a series of constant favorite moments.  If I start trying to name favorite moments, I promptly override myself with each subsequent moment.  It is simply impossible to pick one in a movie this perfect and wonderful.


The other movies that are in this rare category are, very interestingly, also movies with large casts!  I don’t think that’s coincidence, but I’m not sure what the significance is, either.  They are also all action movies where favorite characters die, and they are all very funny, though none is a comedy.  The other two are:

The Dirty Dozen
The 13th Warrior

And now, added to that list:
The Battle of the Five Armies


Those three movies are so fabulous, from start to finish, that I have no single favorite part that I wait for.  There is not one thing I would change in any of them.  I love everyone in the cast, from the leads, to the characters with only a couple of lines, I love every line of dialogue, every action sequence, every note of the scores, even every death.  I am simply not able to pick a favorite moment from any of these.  Each is one magnificent, perfect ride.  My sister shares this, and these are also the only three movies she cannot choose a favorite moment from either.  Part of why these particular three are impossible to pick a favorite moment from is the bond she and I share over them.  These are “our” movies.  The ones we quote constantly to each other.  A single line of dialogue from any of these has more meaning and history and shared love than any other movie.  We share the same sense of humor, so we laugh at all the same moments (many of which no one else would find funny).  And we can still talk for hours and hours about any of these movies with each other, at the drop of a hat, even though you think we'd have talked about everything there could possibly be to say by this point (particularly on the two older movies).

These three movies are, of course, at the top of my personal movie favorites.

3 comments:

Olivia said...

Heehee, I liked that: "Well, now. All of it." :D I find it interesting that lots of people I talk with in person really dislike TBOTFA, but I really liked it. Sure, there were (for me personally) parts I didn't exactly love, but overall, I liked it so much better than the second one (then again, I DISliked the second one), and it left me feeling happy at the end. Even though THAT CREDIT SONG just about ruined me emotionally, it left me with the feeling, "It's okay. It's going to be okay." :)

So yes, TBOTFA is GREAT!:D

Hamlette (Rachel) said...

And how funny that all 3 of your most-favoritest-ever movies have a number in the title!

You're making me want to watch this again.

DKoren said...

Hahah! I didn't even realize that, but they sure do all have numbers in the title!