Thursday, September 08, 2016

Happy 50th Anniversary to Star Trek!



The original Star Trek series was a constant in my life growing up.   There was almost no time when it wasn't playing in re-runs, so my family basically watched an episode a day for years and years and years.  Sure we'd skip the ones we didn't like, but more often than not, when time for it to start rolled around (I recall it aired at 5 pm weekdays, for years), we'd flip stations and settle in to watch.  I can't imagine life without Star Trek somewhere in it.

So Happy Anniversary and a huge thank you to all involved who made this show possible, and then kept it going through some great movies, and onto new television series.

My favorite Original Series eps:

1. Bread and Circuses
2. Mirror Mirror
3. Shore Leave
4. City on the Edge of Forever
7. Balance of Terror
8. Journey to Babel
5. Errand of Mercy
6. Enterprise Incident
9. Day of the Dove
10. The Trouble with Tribbles

Favorite movies with the original cast:

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country

7 comments:

Hamlette (Rachel) said...

Love your list! I was just telling Dano I think he would like "Balance of Terror." We have a lot of overlap on our lists! Way more than for C!.

DKoren said...

Yep, much overlap here. Interesting, isn't it? Why so much discrepancy in C!? I did a top 25 ST list, and then narrowed it down.

Hamlette (Rachel) said...

Well, there are nearly twice as many C! eps, so that might be part of it. Just more to choose from. Also, proportionally, I've seen more of ST, as there are only a handful I still haven't watched, but I've got almost a third of C! still to see.

DKoren said...

Maybe. But we seem to gravitate to the same stories in Star Trek and quite different stories in C! *raised eyebrow* Fascinating.

Melissa Amateis said...

We watched it growing up, too, in the 1980s! My brothers and I used to make fun of the over-acting. haha! A few years ago my daughter, hubby, and I rented the whole series on DVD from the library and watched them all. Now that they're on Netflix, we've been rewatching them. I love "The Trouble with Tribbles" and "A Piece of the Action." Today I watched "Star Trek: The Voyage Home" (twice, since it was on SyFy) and enjoyed every minute of it.

DKoren said...

Yep, it was big on syndication in the 80s. "A Piece of the Action" is wonderful. A family favorite over here, and we even made up a Fizzbin card game so we could play it.

"Voyage Home" is such a fun movie. It also has so many quotable lines that we use all the time, like: "What does it mean 'exact change'?"

Hamlette (Rachel) said...

Maybe we both want about the same thing out of Star Trek (adventure?), but we want different things from C! (my friends vs adventure?)