Monday, September 05, 2016

What, again??

Since I'm on a role stealing tags, let's do this Liebster one AGAIN, but this time with another set of 11 questions, this time from Hamlette.


1.  Is there a movie that has really yummy-looking food in it that you'd love to eat?
Yes.  In particular, I've always wanted the bread and cheese Marion eats in Raiders of the Lost Ark, and I want those sausages Sam is frying up in FotR, while Boromir teaches Merry and Pippin to sword fight.  I don't even like sausages either, but that moment still always makes me want one anyway.


2.  What era do most of your favorite movies take place in?
Hm.  Kind of all over the board.  From a long time ago in a galaxy far far away, to Roman times to Medieval times to the Old West to fantasy eras to the 1940s to current to the future.  I don't think I particularly care.

3.  What two actors/actresses have you always hoped would make a movie together, but didn't/haven't yet?
Well, I wanted Tyrone Power and William Holden to make a movie together, and since they didn't, I wrote a novel for them instead.  LOL!  It's probably good they didn't... that would be too much handsomeness to handle in one movie.  I guess nowadays, I'd really really like to see a movie with Ken Branagh and Ewan McGregor.

4.  If money and time and supplies (and crafting ability) were not considerations, what movie character would you love to cosplay or dress up like for Halloween?
Oh, so many costumes.  I'd like a full Jedi costume (and I intend to get one someday). And I'd like to dress up as Lt. Saavik from Wrath of Khan.  I also wouldn't mind an Indiana Jones costume.  I have the hat and bullwhip, would kind of like the rest.  Indy is one of my oldest nicknames, and I feel I should be able to dress up as him on Halloween if I wanted to!


5.  Have you ever cosplayed or dressed up like a movie or TV character for Halloween?
Of course!  My Halloween costumes usually were movie characters.  Andre Delambre and Han Solo when I was young.  I went as Tonto a couple years ago, when my nephew dressed up as the Lone Ranger.  And, of course, just recently, dressed up in Star Trek: Original Series dress for the Star Trek convention.

6.  What movie would your friends/family be surprised to learn you truly enjoyed?
Well, it usually surprises people to find out I love Overboard (1987), the Kurt Russell/Goldie Hawn romantic comedy because I'm not usually one for romantic comedies.  But I love that one enough that I own it on DVD.

7.  What's one book you hope no one ever makes into a film?
No one better make Golden Witchbreed by Mary Gentle into a movie.  It's my favorite novel after MacLean's The Secret Ways, and it's extremely cinematic, but I have Such Strong Images of everything: locations, characters, costumes.  I couldn't bear to see someone else's idea of what things look like.

8.  Do you know the Wilhelm Scream when you hear it?
Yeppers.  Could recognize it way back before there was internet and we finally found out there was a name for it.  My family just called it "The Scream."  LOL.  We've passed on the love of the Wilhelm Scream and my nephew now recognizes it anytime he hears it, which is a lot.  It's still popping up constantly.

9.  When a character onscreen has to hold their breath, do you try to hold your breath to match theirs?
No, but I have no love of water.  I'd rather look away and come back when the characters are back in the air.  (I do however hold my breath while driving through tunnels...)

10.  What upcoming movies (or TV series) are you excited about?
Fantastic Beasts & Where to Find Them and Rogue One.

11.  What are some of your favorite movie-oriented blogs?  (Or just blogs that post movie reviews sometimes.)
Classic Forever, Silents and Talkies, Laura's Miscellaneous Musing, Preppies of the Apocalypse, Silver Scene, and of course Hamlette's Solioquy.  Among many others.

2 comments:

Hamlette (Rachel) said...

I want the tomatoes, sausages, and niiiiiice, crispy bacon that Merry & Pippen are cooking up in FOTR :-9

Why *haven't* Branagh and Ewan made a movie together yet? They're such a natural fit! Someone, make this happen.

How did you start holding your breath during tunnels, and why?

DKoren said...

I can't *see* the tomatoes, sausages, and nice crispy bacon, so they don't affect me. It sounds good, but if I can't see it, I usually don't want to eat it. Food is all visual in a movie. Oh! I also want to eat Cole's spread on his train in LR. The asparagus and that beautifully rare meat look sooooo tasty.

Seriously, WHY HAVEN'T THEY???

Er... I thought everyone held their breath in tunnels? I've had other people mention they do that too. I have no idea where it started. Probably my dad told us to try it at some point to see if we could do it, and it became a thing? We had a tunnel fixation in our household, though. Tunnels were Rare and Very Important Landmarks. There was one trip to Yosemite, where my sister and I sang "Here comes the tunnel, round and round the bend... noooooo" on every curve on the way to Yosemite Valley. We were young and didn't know the road yet. Waiting for that tunnel to finally appear so we could finally sing yessssss! was interminable. And yes, we tried to hold our breath through it, but it's a mile long, and we died before we were a fourth of the way into it. Last time I went through the Yosemite tunnel as an adult, I made it most of the way through before I ran out of air.

We all do weird things, don't we!