Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Goldsmith scores - quick reviews - 'C' - part one

Now, here's four scores I love love LOVE... and I haven't seen any of these films (or television show, in the case of Cain's Hundred)! 

Caboblanco (1980) - Great Spanish-flavored score, (and a good listening pairing with Breakout).  I wore this one out some years back, and so don't listen to it as much as I used to, but it still a great score.  Favorite cue:  "The Final Act Begins."

Cain's Hundred (1961-62) - love this one.  Have not listened to it much because I'm saving it.  I am a huge fan of Goldsmith's early 60's sound.  It greatly appeals to my inner self, and Cain's Hundred reminds me a lot of Goldsmith's score to The Stripper (1963).  They both have the same feel, the same emotional resonance, and that sound just never gets old for me.  Favorite cue is probably just the theme from the show.

Capricorn One (1977) - One of the first famous Goldsmith "action" scores I listened to, back on LP.  Favorite cue:  "Breakout," of course.  Bring it on!  Though I'm also really fond of "Kay's Theme."  The two were back-to-back on the original album, and I always liked the contrast.  All the old LPs seemed to have the same pattern.  The first side would end with an amazing action cue, and side B would begin with a version of the love theme.  It was awesome.

Cassandra Crossing (1976) - This one and Rio Conchos are probably my two most-played Goldsmth scores of all time.  It would be no coincidence that both of these scores match my mood a lot, if that makes any sense at all.  It's one of the things that has always attracted me to Goldsmith's music over every other film composer:  I find a mirror of my inner self in his scores.  No one else's music does that (except classical composer Ralph Vaughn Williams), and Cassandra Crossing's score is me.  This is a score I don't write to, mostly because I sing along with it and I can't write to things I want to sing along with.  (Yes, I sing along with stuff that isn't particularly singable.)  Favorite cue:  "Helicopter Rescue."

None of these are really on youtube, but here's the awesome end credits from Cain's Hundred.

2 comments:

Hamlette (Rachel) said...

That certainly has a you sound to it!

DKoren said...

Yeah, really does, huh.