Thursday, April 08, 2010

Day 08 → A photo that makes you angry/sad


I wanted to post a picture of my grandfather, but I don't have one. He died when my mother was thirteen and I never got to meet him, and it makes me so sad. Instead, here is a picture of one of my great-uncle's purple heart. I have two sets, for two great uncles, brothers, one in the Navy, one in the Army, who died within a week of each other during WWII. One at the Battle of the Bulge, one in a plane crash in the Bermuda Triangle (!). No anger, it just makes me sad that I never got to meet these men, my relatives who fought for our country and didn't make it home, that I only have a very few vague stories of them from my dad.

But I'm proud to be the keeper of their purple hearts.

4 comments:

Tom said...

This is a very nice photo of the medal. THanks for sharing this.

DKoren said...

Thanks, Tom.

Melissa Amateis said...

What a blessing for you to have such treasured momentos.

DKoren said...

Thanks, Melissa. I know that's why my dad gave them to me, because he knew I would treasure them.